This advertisement is obviously for Heineken beer and is clearly objectifying this woman. Only part of her body is being shown here, she has no face, no voice, no opinion, no head. She is thin and appears to be air brushed, she has no stretch marks, no freckles, no hair. Kilbourne's perspective would point out that she is the object because she is being acted upon, does not appear to be in control, only a single feature of her body is important, and these people show problematic body language. I don't generally see males hugging one leg of their partner; they're in a strange pose specifically to show her butt... and his face. Also, there's not even a bottle of beer in this ad to sell the product. She is the product, she has become the bottle of Heineken.

I don't even know what this ad is selling but it's absurd. Just as above, the woman has no face in this photo. She's completely naked and from Kilbourne's perspective, this is very objectifying. In this ad, This woman is being acted upon, not in control, only a part of her body is shown and she's powerless. She has become the piece of cake. She stopped being a person and became what this ad is trying to sell.
I agree this ad is absurd. Are they trying to say the 10 year old is getting a piece of ass for his birthday? What are they even trying to sell? As for the first one, I can't believe I hadn't realized their was no bottle of beer until you had pointed it out.
ReplyDeleteThese two ads really go to show how far this society will go just for marketing their produts and to gain a profit. Most of the time I wonder really HOW profitable they are with their ads. Do they spend more money on the ad itself just to end up with less profit on the actual product? Or do they make that much money from advertising the product in such sexual ways?
ReplyDeleteBoth of these ads are ridiculous, and I agree that the second is just absurd and I'm not sure what they are selling either but does it even matter? why would anyone need to have cake in a human shape? wouldn't that be really strange to cut up and eat? As for the Heineken one they are completely objectifying the girl in the add like you said, turning her into the beer bottle and only showing her rear end as if that is the only part that matters.
ReplyDelete